Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Woops! I forgot to add this comment to my blog.

I made this comment on April 13, 2009 on CEC’s blog post titled: Is Bibliophobia a Social Disease?

 

Beyond belief's comment reminded me of something that was implemented at Elementary school that I had totally forgotten about. We had a designated time called DEAR (drop everything and read) in which we could bring a book or magazine from home of our choosing or get a book off the shelf in the classroom. I did hear some people talking about how they just pretended to read, but there were also many students who got so involved in their book that they would sneak peaks in during class trying to finish up a chapter or something that they were dying to know about. I personally think this was a great idea and I enjoyed DEAR time very much.



 

Another thing that came to my mind when I was reading this portion of Mark Bauerlein's book was from something that we had read earlier this semester about how kids are becoming too competitive academically by their own free will just to get ahead of everyone else. However, Baurlein mentions the fact that "...students know that reading skills determine their high-stakes test scores. But the retreat from books proceeds..." (47). I find this so odd that these two readings were saying completely opposite things about this generation. 

No comments: