Monday, April 6, 2009

Spirituality

            In Wellness today we had an assignment to share our spirituality with the class. We had to bring a phrase, poem, passage, verse, song or anything that has special spiritual meaning to us. It was really cool to hear everyone’s responses to this question, because it feels like you’re getting to know what drives them to live their lives the way that they do and what they think about each day. Not many people seem to know each other in my Wellness class or make an effort to socialize, but just hearing them tell the class what has spiritual meaning to them seemed to bring everyone closer. Standing in front of the class and sharing your inner most thoughts brings about a kind of vulnerability that people do not usually show. About half the class had nice bible verses, some that I hadn’t put half as much thought into as they did. A few actually stuck in my head, which was the best thing about this assignment because it made me see things in a new perspective. I hope that the verses that I brought in will stick with people because they are very uplifting and special to me. These were my versus: 

 

Verse #1:

I Thessalonians 5:18 says, "In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."

 

Verse #2:

Psalm 56:3 says, “When I am afraid, I will trust in you.”

 

            These two verses have a similar message and in my opinion, as a faithful Christian, these are the two most spiritually inspirational things I have ever read. The first one was a caption to a painting that was in the dining room of my grandparent’s house. My grandfather on my dad’s side of the family was a preacher, and my grandmother and him passed away when I was twelve, but unknowingly left me with one of the most valuable lessons. I have no idea why I remember this verse to this day, but it always seems to come to mind exactly when I need it the most. It is not only a daily reminder of how thankful we should be for the things that we are blessed with in life that make us happy, but also those choices that God makes that are a bit more disguised. For example, something that is happening to us currently that may not feel like it is best for us now, but in reality, God is doing what is best for us in the long run and we should be thankful that we have him to look after us like that.

 

            The next verse I found at a later time from a service called “The Daily Bible Verse”. And I have found countless versus that have helped me through some hard times, but I found this one to be most beneficial. It reminds me that having confidence in the Lord is a purposeful life decision. And replacing my emotional reactions to circumstances with the faith that I have in the Lord is one of the best ways to calm down and have a better outlook on life. Once you realize that if you are living your life for God, than he will take care of you, things become easier and your life feels as if it has more purpose and sustenance. 

No comments: