Sunday, October 19, 2008

A Consuming, Forbidden Love

I thought I would make a different kind of post today because of some random inspiration that stirred up some thoughts earlier this week. As I was sitting in a practice room I heard from the room next door one of the most beautiful pieces of music I have ever heard. It just made me so emotional upon hearing it I just couldn't help thinking of what the inspiration for this deep consuming song was. So I knocked on the door and complimented the musician and asked her what the name of the song was. She called it Moonlight Sonata. 

I looked it up online and found the meaning and researched a couple more songs upon finding this one. And it turns out you can find so much about a piece of music by just looking at how the composer lived. That's so interesting to me and I wanted to just share this song with everybody after sharing the underlying meaning of it:

Basically this song was written about the love shared by thirty-one-year-old Beethoven and the seventeen-year- old Countess Giulietta Guicciardi. The two fell in after only a few piano lessons together.  Their love continued to grow stronger as time went on, and Beethoven became so entranced with this woman that he wrote a love song to her.  After dedicating the piece to her, Beethoven proposed.  She accepted;  however, one of her parents did not consent to the union so the marriage never commenced. Although the ending to this love story does not end as we would want, the love that they shared inspired one of the most inspiring piano works of Beethoven’s career.  

This was the only recording I could find of it, but the song is truly gorgeous as you can hear:


No comments: